I've been working feverishly (no, really!! I actually did have a fever!) on a map for a contest on They Draw & Travel. The task was to draw a map of the town where you live now or your home town. I decided to draw my home town of LeRoy, NY, even though I haven't lived there in over 20 years, because I know (knew) it so well.
That knowledge was kind of a problem, because OF COURSE I had to include all the details on most of the notable buildings, so it took me something like 100 years to finish it, and both the to-do list of stuff to draw and the time it was taking me to illustrate them increased exponentially because I was so sick. I was still tweaking after I'd uploaded it, but I think I'm going to call it done now.
Today they're posting the runner-ups and honorable mentions…. very exciting! I know mine hasn't won any special mention; really, I'm just happy to have finished it, especially considering the circumstances!
Anyway, I loved seeing all the different ways other artists interpreted the theme: hand-drawn, computer illustrated, some very loosely designed, some more traditional. It was a surprise to find out so many of my fellow MATS-ians created maps, too! I wanted to highlight as many as I could, so in no particular order, here they are:
- So Much to Do in Manitou, Colorado by Stephanie Olivieri
- Gibsons, British Columbia by Jana Curll
- Welcome to Bremen Altstadt, Germany by Tessa Rath
- Purple Mountain Majesties in Colorado Springs by Wendy Brightbill
- DC LOVE by Susanne Kasielke
- Greater Providence, Rhode Island Hot Weiner Tour by Jill Howarth
- Curiosities of Toronto, Canada by Ashley Lotecki
- A Tour Along the Kamo River in Kyoto, Japan by Reika Hunt
- What’s so great about Portsmouth, UK? by Jen Burbridge
- Cincinnati, Ohio by Brooke Albrecht
- My House in Forest Hills, Queens, New York by jane sanders
- Adelaide, South Australia by Kate Mason
- A Beautiful and Magical Visit to Prague, Czech Republic by Petra Hämmerleinova
- Orlando, Florida: Beyond the Mouse by Lori Weitzel
- A Grand Adventure in Japan by Nicole LaRue
- Magical Serifos by JOANNA CHRYSOHOIDIS
- High Towers in Stockholm, Sweden by Anna Berger
- Portsmouth, New Hampshire by Shannon Hays
- Fanciful Map of San Francisco, California by mary rachael schafer